Wednesday, October 24, 2007

An extra mile of attention/care

I was was very much worried in the back ground although I was doing something at work. I was waiting for the clock to trike 3 PM so that I can call up the Italian embassy to check the status of my passport. I submitted my visa application last wednesday and I was not worried about the visa but about my passport. The visa officer asked me if I could come and collect it last friday when it would be ready or to to give them a special delivery envelope so that they could post to wherever I would like them to.
In earlier cases I have sent my passport using the special delivery but was a bit confused because of the Royal mail strike that was going on then. But after thinking for a while I decided to submit a special delivery envelope at the counter. I didnt remember to note the tracking Id - what a stupidity.
My assumption was that if my passport would have been ready by friday the consulate folks would be posting it either on friday or by Monday. I checked the mails on Monday and Tuesday and there wasnt any delivery for me :( I was a bit worried and then decided to call the consulate on Tuesday. The enquiry hours is between 3 PM and 5 PM.
Sharp when my laptop showed 15:00 I called up the embassy....
No Answer..
wait for 2 minutes...
call again....
no answer... hmm.. these Italian are not punctual - that was my thought..
15:10 - ring again..
the line was busy...ahhh atleast somebody is taking the calls...
kept trying and within a minute I got connected..
Me : Hello, I submitted my visa application last wednesday and would like to know if my passport is posted
The officer (Lady) : Can I have your reference number please ?
Me : uhh... I didnt receive any reference number..
Officer : I cant believe it..........but anyway give me ur surname
Me: R as in Roger ...a as in apple ....
Officer : Please wait let me check the computer...
searches sometime.......
Officer: I cant find your name ...???^^^^
Me: Huhhhhh...%%%% what..
Officer: Please repeat your surname..
Me: R as in ........
Officer: (after a 15-20 sec) yes you have been issued a visa on 18th Oct.. ohh have you given a delivery envelope..
Me: Yesssss...
Officer: Let me check the post
Checks for a minute or so...
Officer: Actually I am not able to find it..it is somebody else's work.. give me your number I'll check and get back to you..
Me: Ok..here is my number 079.....
Officer : (repeats the number)
Me: Yes..thats correct..
Officer: I will give you a call back as soon as I get some information...
Me: alright, thank you very much..
Hang up.....

Me --- a bit confused....
with in 2 minutes..my mobile rang...
Me: A... speaking
Officer: Mr. Ra.... I have found your envelope.. we are posting it today..
Me: ohh great thanks...
Officer: here is the address... and do you want to take the tracking number???
Me: yes.. thanks..
officer: (says teh tracking number)
Me: (noted down)..great!!! thanks a lot...
Me:Thanks

I was like relieved. The officer took an extra step of trying to locate my envelope and call me back and she made my day. I was then relaxed that my passport would arrive the next day.
The officer need not have made a note of my number..she might have also said I am busy try to contact me later..but instead her gesture was courteous and I was happy.

I think it would be good to take care of even smaller things.. for her/anybody else it might be a small incident ..but for me I was appreciating the officer who made me feel relaxed and concentrate on other things.

No comments: