Wednesday, December 13, 2006

HABIT

I am currently reading the '7 Habits of highly Effective People' by Stephen R Covey. So will try to jot down what I got from that book.

Habit 1 : Be PROACTIVE.
We would have heard this word 'PROACTIVE' said byour Managers in IT industry , if not all atleast I have heard my manager say during my appraisal. So what he or anybody means by asking you to be proactive ? Is it like do the work before he asks you to do ? Have a contingency plan for all the tasks so that even if something happens you can try to finish it well before the deadline ? or is it to do something extra than what you are expected to do ? Many of us are unclear of the word 'PROACTIVE'. But what I got from the book is that, understand the work given to you and work had and sincerely to complete the task.I'll perform the task with my full efficiency,concentration and dedication whatever the work may be.
Now I have a question here. How will I do a work which I am totally disinterested in, with full sincereity and dedication ? the answer here is 'All work are equal'. Give your full concentration and dedication to the work in hand you will feel satisfied that you have done the work for your satisfaction. So not just by stopping when we complete our work, we have to go one step further and do what more we can do so that we can feel great for that extra piece of work that we have done without anybody asking us to do.
Also try to learn from whatever we do so that we can try to be more efficient when we do it again. Trying to be effective by some way when we repeat the same job is also proactive as we can devise an efficient method to do that task which we wouldnt have done during teh first time.
Try to grab all the opportunities to learn something new.Learning is a process and that will never end.The ways that can help you to be proactive are :
1. Fully understand the work that you are doing.
2. Dont feel that the task is uninteresting.
3. Dont give up.
4. Learn from mistakes and try not to repeat it.
5. Communicate your ideas and thoughts clearly and coherently.

No comments: